Immovable cultural heritage Material cultural property
The so-called “tuneras” are shore-based tuna lookouts with ladders erected in the past to assist one of the main activities of Kvarner’s fishermen – tuna fishing. These are sloping ladders overhanging the sea from the top of which the lookout warned the fishermen of the arrival of the tuna in the tuna net below them, which resulted in a swift action of closing and pulling the net. In the eastern part of the city of Rijeka, the bay Martinšćica stretches at the geographical position φ = 45 ° 18.7'N, λ = 014 ° 28.6'E, where the overhaul shipyard Viktor Lenac is located today. At the beginning of the 18th century, until the bay was occupied by a lazzaretto and later by a shipyard, tuna entered the bay owing to greater depths. A tunera was set up on the shores of the bay, then owned by the Rijeka patrician Oktavije Bono, which later passed into the possession of the Karina family from Bakar. In 1876, a quarry was opened in Martinšćica, the tunera was abandoned and eventually destroyed. In 1721, in the neighboring bay of Žurkovo, the baron Mihajlo Andraka built a standing tunera, which was abandoned at the same time as the one in Martinšćica. From 1833 until the First World War in the bay of Martinšćica, there was a lazzaretto, then a military hospital. The Jakovčić shipyard also operated on the western side of the bay. After the war, the complex returned to its original function only in principle, but was later handed over to the Adriatic Guard, which converted it into a student resort. After the Second World War until today, the bay has had an industrial function (overhaul shipyard Viktor Lenac).