The first nuclear-powered merchant passenger-cargo ship, built in 1959. She was commissioned by the US government as a demonstration of the civilian use of nuclear energy. She is one of four such ships built so far in the world, while the first civilian and at the same time first surface nuclear ship was the Russian icebreaker Lenin (1957). The Savannah had two reactors and with one refuelling, she could travel 300,000 nautical miles at a speed of 20 knots. The main designer of the ship was the Croatian shipbuilding engineer Erazmo Tićac (1904-68) from Žurkovo near Kostrena, who at that time worked for the American design company George G. Sharp Inc. The ship was in commercial use from 1962 to 1972 and it sailed into the port of Rijeka several times. Today she is permanently moored in Baltimore and can be visited.