The oldest church on this site was built in 1130 or 1167, but in any case during 12th century and it was dedicated to Holy Trinity. After the earthquake in 1323, church was badly damaged and then repaired with changing the dedication to St. Andrew. At the begining of 18th century, to be exact in 1708 and 1718 left and right nave of the church were built. Church bell tower was built in 1710 and it still stands today. In 1750 a massive earthquake destroyed the church with bell tower left undamaged. Twenty years later building of new church started. Speciality of this church is crypt below sanctuary with two halls and 80 tombs in which the most significant people and builder of the church bishop Vjenceslav Šoić were buried.
The parish church of St. Andrew the Apostle in Bakar is the largest church in the Rijeka Metropolis with the third largest floor plan in the then Croatia. Namely, only the Zagreb and Đakovo cathedrals were larger than the Bakar church. The church of St. Andrew the Apostle was built in the middle of the 19th century on the site of an old church destroyed by an earthquake. Thus, in addition to its size and monumentality, the church of St. Andrew the Apostle also attracts attention in its interior where valuable works of art are hidden.