This third-order monastery, as well as the one on Glavotok, is largely responsible for the preservation of the Glagolitic tradition on the island. The Old Slavonic language and the Glagolitic alphabet were used in monasteries, both in worship and in other ritual and internal prayers. That is why they were called Glagolitic monks, Fratres Illirici. Today, there is a lapidary built in the atrium of the monastery, within which the rich Glagolitic heritage of the island of Krk is presented.
The church and the monastery, whose construction began as early as the first decades of the 15th century, bear late Gothic and Renaissance stylistic features. The cross-ribbed vault of the church sanctuary corresponds to the earliest phase of construction. The altarpiece on the main altar by Girolamo da Santacroce, depicting the monastery's patron saint Mary Magdalene and St. John the Baptist, St. Pope Gregory, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Quirinus and the Virgin, represents an important work of art. In 1557, the church and the altar were consecrated, so it should be assumed that the church was completed at that time.