05 Cultural-historical heritage on the shore and in the sea
Klasifikacija prema RKD
Immovable cultural heritage
The port of Brseč (φ = 45 ° 10.9'N, λ = 014 ° 14.6'E) is located in the cove of Peć at the foot of the church of St. Mary Magdalene and the nearby town of Brseč located on the west coast of the Kvarner Bay, or on the Liburnian coast of the Istrian peninsula. The inaccessible coast, the great depth of the sea and the exposure to all winds are the reasons why, despite the position of strategic importance, a real port has never developed in the bay. The bay contains a forty meter long stone-concrete quay located in the northern part of the bay near the lighthouse. The southern part of the bay is closed by the cape Šip. In the immediate vicinity there is Brseč beach (sand). The depths in front of the quay reach up to 8 m and further in the bay they are even larger. Vessels are moored in a Mediterranean moor along the quay, but some vessels moor in the rest of the bay. During the summer months, a large number of boats are accommodated on buoys in the bay. The port of Brseč is quite exposed to winds and waves from all directions, mostly from the south. The Port of Brseč is an integral part of the Opatija - Lovran - Mošćenička Draga Port Authority.
The people of Brseč have always lived by the sea. In the first half of the 20th century, a third of the men were sailors and they were also skilled fishermen, as evidenced by the stone fishing huts (barracks) for storing tools, nets, but also boats that were pulled ashore. The activities of the Brseč fishing cooperative, founded in 1956, were also connected to the port of Brseč. The cooperative joined the Ika Canned Fish Factory in 1961 and ceased operations during the 1990s. However, the tradition of fishing continued with the sons and grandsons of these Brseč cooperatives, which today have several private fishing companies and are among the most successful in the Adriatic in terms of catching oily fish. The Brseč port and beach were also the scene of events important for the end of the World War II in this area. On the night of 24-25April 1945, the partisans of the 4th Yugoslav Army landed in the port. They transferred from Beli on the island of Cres to the eastern coast of Istria, marking the beginning of its liberation from Nazi-Fascist occupation. During the disembarkation of the Liberation Army units, the women of Brseč also contributed to the liberation of Istria, carrying ammunition and equipment uphill on the road from the Brseč waterfront to the main road Rijeka - Pula.