Immovable cultural property Material cultural property
representative, monumental, lavish business building with renewed facades
A representative, monumental four-storey building with an upgraded roof floor, with a rectangular floor plan, occupies the entire island. The Hungarian architect V. Freund designed the palace in the northern, i.e. continental spirit and style of the historicist business buildings of Budapest, Vienna and even Zagreb. Despite difficulties in organizing the construction site and erecting a large four-storey new building covering the entire islet, the building was under a roof as early as 1895 and fully completed in 1897. There were several projects for the palace, including the Rijeka architect Giacomo Zammati, and the project by Francesco Mattiassi (Franjo Matiasić) was accepted. The construction work on the Adria Palace was led by Giacomo Zammatti's company. The cube of the building is calm and symmetrical, with balanced verticals and horizontals. The impressive inner gallery courtyard is surrounded by pillars and iron fences. The rustically decorated ground floor was originally intended for public communication spaces. Today, many spaces are rented to business, administrative and commercial users. The first two floors were intended for the ship's client and the upper two floors were used as the apartments of the administration and guests. It should be especially emphasized that the apartments, in addition to the bathroom, had as many as two toilets due to the service staff. The roof structure is emphasized by the central dome. The neo-baroque main dome is elongated, bulbous in shape, while the lateral domes are angular, barely indicating the ends of the mansard steep roof. The central avant-corps under the dome of the main façade is accentuated vertically by a pair of pillars, and at the top, at the height of the fourth floor, at the top of the giant pillars there are free-standing sculptures: on the south façade 4 male figures impersonating ship occupations (master, helmsman, engineer and pilot) and in the north 4 female representatives of the continents (Asia, America, Africa and Europe). The main portal, which is on the south, sea side, is accentuated by sculptures of two giants by Sebastian Bonomi from Venice, next to which you enter a luxurious atrium and a short central staircase that forks on a platform with elevators into two side arms for the first floor. In the middle of the first floor of the longer façade there is a wide corridor from which one enters the largest, most representative offices. The second floor is decorated on the outside as a pianno nobile, the main floor of a representative palace with a large balcony along the central three window axes and with smaller balconies at the edges of the façade. In 2007, during the celebration of the 110th anniversary of the construction of the palace, the shipping company Jadrolinija invested considerable funds in the restoration of the exterior of all façades, and the sculptural decor was restored.